Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Oracle Systems Event -- "Maximizing The Gains and Carrying Them Into The Future with Oracle Systems", Exadata, PCA, ODA, ZFS, PMEM, PMEM Commit and Data Accelerators, ROCE, KVM, OCI, ATP and more.

At yesterday's event, I shared my experience on positioning Oracle Systems on mission critical customer environments ((including Core Banking and ERP). Health checks, assessments, migration strategies, replatforming, design, failback scenarios, bundling, readiness, improvements and execution... 

I supported the benefits that I underlined and explained throughout the presentation, with 4 real life cases at the end of my talk. 4th use case (as a bonus --considering it was an Oracle Systems event) was related with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). It was about the Auto Scale Core Banking solution (both scale-out and scale-in capabilities),  that we implemented on OCI. (by using a multi node IAS Weblogic Cluster, some cloud level customizations/coding and an Autonomous Transaction Processing Database).

This Oracle Event was inWyndham Grand Istanbul Kalamis Marina Hotel, Istanbul. 

All the attendees were Turkish (mostly tech managers & directors). So that, the invitation and the slides were mostly in Turkish, but I will still share them. Good news is, even if you don't know Turkish, I think you still get the idea once you check the slides.(as always; even the main language of the presentation is Turkish, there are still lots of English words out there.) Anyways; I will share the slides at the end of this post, but I'm sharing the event invitation right away, as a memory ->

The subject of my presentation was "Maximizing The Gains and Carrying Them Into The Future with Oracle Systems". 

I started by introducing our service areas, including Oracle Consultancy and Advanced Customer Support and them jumped into the real, existing topic, which was the Oracle Systems and the innovations offered with them. (and seeing them in action with our success stories). 

I introduced the new (still considered new)  Exadata X9-2M and PCA X9 machines, and also explained what else we have in Oracle System family, by giving the whole picture from Exadata to ODA and Oracle Servers. I also shared my experience on ODA and Supercluster(EOF but still in the field) engineered systems.


"The Oracle Way":

Attention was mostly on Exadata and ODA. Event attendees found the new and innovative features of Exadata very interesting. That part was also my favorite. While explaining the PMEM (persistent memory - Intel Optane),  Persistent Data Accelerator and Persistent Commit Accelerator, I felt like I was talking about Quantum Computing:) -- Yes, I admit I'm exaggerating a bit :) 

ROCE (RDMA Over Converged Ethernet) wasn't new for Exadata users, but explaining how ROCE supports the super fast PMEM I/O Path, was a pleasure, as well as mentioning how well the Oracle Database integrates with the newest hardware. Write through PMEM cache, fast LGWR I/O - write, best fit for OLTP,  database utilizing the PMEM in AppDirect mode using RDMA transparently, no need for configuring or managing anything, 1.5 TB PMEM per cell, the improvements in existing Exadata unique features.. Well...These topics were already enough to win the hearts.

Private Cloud Appliance (PCA) also got people excited.. We as GTech already completed a big Exadata and PCA replatforming project recently.. We consolidated lots of FMW apps in a single PCA X8 machine in that project. Sharing our experience along with the capabilities of the machine and shedding some lights on the motivations for positioning this machine helped a lot for getting the attention. 

Being able to run both the modern apps technology (containers, Kubernetes, microservices and all that) and the traditional apps (like java apps on Weblogic Clusters) on the same platform, being ready for the cloud (especially for OCI), the things like GiraalVM, the ZFS storage inside, isolation and virtualization, ease of implementation and management, fault tolerancy and performance...  These were more than enough for justifying the latest Oracle Apps Engineered System known as PCA.

I spoke almost for 40 minutes in this presentation and it is difficult to summarize it all here.  Don't worry I have lots of good news :) This time the good news is, I'm sharing the slides below :)

















No comments :

Post a Comment

If you will ask a question, please don't comment here..

For your questions, please create an issue into my forum.

Forum Link: http://ermanarslan.blogspot.com.tr/p/forum.html

Register and create an issue in the related category.
I will support you from there.